My Photo
Name:
Location: Etna - 41º 26' 31.27" N 122º 54' 07.60" W [My Grid Square is CN81nk] KB7BNW@KF6ZSY Elevation: 3032 feet above sea level,, California, United States

All my life was a preparation to the pinnacle of my being, meeting and knowing Father Seraphim. Everything in my life led to this. Since his death I can find no peace of heart unless everything in my life is in some way an awareness of the reality that I am living the rest of my life the way I am, because I met and knew Father Seraphim.

Monday, August 28, 2006

What We Must Have


Wednesday, May 19, 2004

"We must have before all else the uncertain state of our mortality daily before our eyes, and realize that soon we must depart hence out of our bodies, and that no profit will come to us from our continence and chastity or from the renunciation of all our wealth or the contempt of riches, or from our painful fasts and watchings, if haply on account solely of anger and hatred we receive the sentence of eternal punishment from the Judge of all the world."
Saint John Cassian the Roman A.D.+435
February 29/March 13
Commemorated February 28th in non-leap years
From the -Institutes, Book VIII, chapter XXII.
Saint John Cassian is qualified to state such as this as he is in all actuality the founder of monasticism in Europe. He was born in Gaul(France) around A.D. 360 His desire to lead a God pleasing life led him to Bethlehem, where he became a monk. Following two years in the Holy Land, he went to Egypt where he spent seven years assimilating the spiritual wisdom of the ascetics of the desert. After leaving Egypt, he went to Constantinople, and was ordained a deacon by Saint John Chrysostom. Later he was ordained to the presbytery. Upon his return to Gaul, word of his sanctity spread, and disciples gathered around him seeking spiritual instruction. He established several monasteries before his death. Many of them still exist today. His writings have had considerable influence over the years. Saint Benedict used them for the development of his Rule. Saint John Climacus, the author of The Ladder of Divine Ascent, praised his writings highly. Yet, Saint John Cassian did not know the hour of his death. Perhaps that is what helps make a person a saint. If we knew when we were going to die we would put off our repentance. Not knowing when we are going to die makes us be as ready as we can be all the time.

And so two more days have passed. This day is the Apodosis of Pascha. Farewell old friend! Christ is Risen! Truly He is Risen! Will I make it another year? Will I make it through this night? What if this was my last hour of life on Earth? How would I act? What things would I do in the next 60 minutes? Would I be sitting at this computer if I really believed that this was my last hour? I should hope that I would partake of Jesus Christ's Holy Body and Precious Blood for it was He who said to His disciples, "Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day." - (Gospel of Saint John, chapter 6, verse 54) But, that is eternal life, the life of God Himself that he shares with me. If I am to be raised up at the last day I must be laid down before that. This is the death I speak of. The death where the bodily remains stiffened and then starts to decay. Where the body is so repulsive that we have to bury it in the ground just to be away from its stench. Will I suffer this? YES! I will suffer this, but I know not when. Have you heard or read it said that "The whole world is a sacred and common graveyard, for in every place is the dust of our fathers and brothers." "O Christ our God, Who alone unchangeably lovest us, forgive all who have died from the beginning till now, that they may sing with infinite love: Alleluia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home